Thursday, March 22, 2007

Eternal Johnny Cash

So the most recent exciting event that I took part in was the Nelson Island High School talent show. This is the kind of event where all the students are embarassed to perform so they don't sign up, but they all love to watch people. Here in lies the problem. With no one signed up, there is nothing to watch. A couple of students get the picture, so they eventually sign up for something. There were quite a few adults that signed. I just signed up in case there weren't enough acts to get the talent show going in the first place.

There were a couple of small dance groups (Yup'ik dance that is). A couple of parents and other staff members did a little skit. One teacher played some Beethoven on his cheeks (not butt cheeks) and then played his harmonica while his Australian Shepherd dog howled with distaste.

And yes, I played some guitar. And what other inspiration should I have other than Johnny Cash, so I came out strong with a little Folsom Prison Blues. I've sang it enough in Kareoke competitions and I've been practicing it on guitar, so I figured I could hold my own.

Well, I finished the intro and started stumming and all of the sudden all the young students and some adults in the bleachers started clapping, which kind of threw me off at first, but I went with it. I gotta admit, that the guitar solo didn't go quite so smoothly and some students were able to recognize that I kind of screwed it up a little. Most people thought it was great though. Well, after the show was over, TJ (our principal) talked with the judges and got up to hand out the prize money. Third place got $25, second place got $50, and first place walked away with $100 cash. I knew that people really enjoy Johnny Cash in this region of Alaska, but I didn't expect to walk away with Benjamin Franklin in my pocket.

Some of the student acts were really funny and good, but apparently Johnny took the show. TJ admited that I kind of stole the show as well, which was a good thing. Anyway, the man in black isn't dead in Toksook Bay by any means. I don't remember Johnny having to look directly at his strings when he was playing though. Students are still coming up to me and calling me Johnny Cash, which I humbly admit that I'm just an imposter. They still enjoy it.

Until the next big adventure....
Thanks for reading,
Dirk

1 comment:

Charlie said...

It's about time your JC stylings (keep growing the beard and that may have a double meaning) was recognized with cash money in your pocket. After seeing you perform "One Piece at a Time" at Lefty's multiple times, I knew you'd start down the road of tribute band stardom. Keep up the good strumming.