Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter bunnies, pranks, and more snow

Well, it's April 13th and we are still experience full winter conditions here in the Yukon Kuskokwim Delta. This morning it was apparently -9 degrees F. outside. I couldn't even tell anymore. Beautiful day if you ask me. Sun rising over a perfectly clear sky, reflecting off a landscape of snow and ice. Like a cold slap in the face every morning.
This weekend was extended thanks to TJ, our principal, who gave us Monday off as well. Yesterday, I hit the hill behind the village before we gathered at one of the high school teacher's house for an Easter feast. We got pounded by storms all day Friday and most of Saturday as well. It dumped powder both days, but the wind must have carried a lot of it away. This is a picture of my house being buried. The snow drifts blocked out all sunlight from penetrating my windows.
I still found plenty of pow pow up in my favorite little ski bowl where I go to unwind. Much of the surrounding hills are wind packed with deep tongues and grooves carved into the snow by the wind. It makes for very difficult skiing on such unpredictable snow. At the bottom of the steep drop off though, one can almost always find light fluffy powder to play in. This is my playground. And since I'm always trying to challenge my self, I had to attempt a couple of steeper drop in points only to crater in the deep snow below. Oh well. Skijoring with Katja on the way back home, I ran into Brett, our former Site Administrator Intern from my first year as he was traveling back to Tununak. He stopped and talked a bit. I think that he wished he was out with his dogs playing in the snow too.
Cindy, our Easter host actually lives in the house that I lived in my first year. I'm glad that I don't live there this year. In the fall, there are actually a couple of steps that you have to climb up to get to the door. Now, it's a 18 - 20 foot snow drift to get down to it. We had a good time relaxing and mingling in a non-work atmosphere even though there were still teacher's kids running around all over the house.




When I got home, I was confronted with a monstrosity of snow stacked in front of my door. I couldn't even get to my shovel, so I had to borrow TJ's. I have to admit, the kids here enjoy my presence. If they didn't like me, I'd end up with broken windows and a kitchen full of snow. It was a good laugh and I cleaned up the mess with a smile on my face. I never really figured out who did it, but I think I have an idea. Revenge is sweet. They'll have to wait for it.

No comments: