Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Melt Down



So it’s starting to really thaw and run big streams of water everywhere through town. My front yard is a total bog even after I created the levy you see here through the snow. It took two attempts to complete it and even a little from some of my former students. The water has been flowing steady for about a week now, and there is still tons of snow throughout the village.

Even the bay is starting to look as though it might break up soon. Of course there are still crazy teenagers that try to go across the spans of open water by hydroplaning on their snow machines (snowmobiles). I actually experienced some mild stream crossing, but that will be another story for another time.







In all reality, the bay won’t break up for another week or so. There is a lot of frozen water out there. The men have been heading out to go seal hunting for over a week now. Students are allowed two traditional leave days in which case they get an excused absence to go hunting for their family. I guess you would see that anywhere you lived that offered wild game to hunt or fish.

As for me, I’m just about to have a melt down of my own as you can plainly see.

No comments: