Monday, August 14, 2006

A quick look at Toksook Bay


Well, after wrestling my way through Blogger and creating a new blog I am back to putting material on the blog.

Here are a couple of photos from town that I took while walking around. A couple of things that I noticed include. Kids will say "Hi" and come up to ask you questions without hesitation. Sometimes they will come right into your house and stay until you tell them they have to go. Over half of the population in the village consists of people between 0 and 18 years in age. Dogs around the village are usually tied up outside to endure the cold, rain, and wind, sometimes without any shelter. Hence, they are tough dogs.

Speaking of tough, I'm having a tough time uploading pictures to my blog, so I apologize for the lack of visuals.

Back to info about Toksook Bay. All roads are dirt, so it's either dusty when it's not raining, or it's really muddy when it is. Right now it is and it will probably continue for another few weeks. Looking at all the skeletons of old snow machines and 4 wheelers and you quickly realize that people don't just throw things away, but pillage parts from things until there is nothing left.

Well, I started getting my room together today and it's been busy busy busy. More information as I get closer to the students arrival on August 21.

No comments: