Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Thanksgiving Break


Wow, what a great Thanksgiving Break I had. Traci and I had been planning to have a somewhat larger get together for the holiday and were very excited. A couple of friends flew in from outta town. Tania and her daughter Justine flew in from Toksook Bay and our dear and close friend Erin flew all the way from Bethel with her dog, Capt. Macy (20 min. flight). We spent most of Thursday cooking up a storm. Blueberry Cheesecake, Apple pie, Pumpkin pie, and Chocolate Peacan pie were on the dessert menu. Sweet potatoes, stuffing inside and outside of the turkey, two different kinds of cranberry relish, Garden salad, mashed potatoes, green beans, home made bread, and of course a giant turkey. It was pretty awesome!

Katja got plenty of attention too. She took over as guardian for Justine and was really amazing at entertaining her. Katja would walk over to Justine and just flop over on her side. She would literally let Justine crawl all over her and just lay there and take it, as if it were one of her own puppies. I never would have guessed she would respond that way. Erin and I got the dogs out a couple of times for some late day, virtually night time runs. There was plenty of knitting, by the ladies of course. I don't know how to knit. I did tie some flies though. Just getting ready for summer. We played lots of music as well. Justine loves to listen to music, either live or on TV or ipod. We had a fantastic time watching her dance around the coffee table with a giant smile on her face.

Anyway, I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well. I look forward to seeing some of you over the Christmas break.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello!
Greetings from North Carolina! I know that this will seem a bit random. However, I was wondering if you could help me. I am currently a graduate student at Western Carolina University studying special education, mild to moderate LD/MR. I will graduate in May 2011 with my MAT. When I was a little girl, I always wanted to work in Alaska. That said, I was hoping you could provide me with information how you became a teacher in Alaska. Are there any tips you would like to share? For instance, where did you find your job? Thank you for everything!!!
meghan harter

Unknown said...

p.s.
Have a wonderful holiday season!! :)

Dirk Martin said...

Hi Meghan,
Alaska is a great adventure and offers rewarding teaching experiences as well. I work for LKSD (Lower Kuskokwim School District) in SW Alaska. www.lksd.org I landed the job through the Portland Job Fair in Oregon. You could look into what job fairs Alaska school districts will be attending or you could fly up to Anchorage for the Alaska Job Fair. http://alaskateacher.org/doku.php?id=alaska_job_fairs
Good luck and let me know if I can be more help. Happy Holidays, Dirk