Monday, May 18, 2009

Another year??? Eek!

That's right! I've made the executive decision that I will continue my work in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta educating young minds and becoming more and more Yup'ik. I won't be in Toksook this year. Instead, I've transferred to a smaller village right off the Kuskokwim river, about 35 miles south of Bethel, called EEK.

Things that won't change
  • I will be teaching in a village where I am a minority and don't speak the primary language
  • There won't be many trees where I live, if any at all.
  • There will be a lot of tundra everywhere
  • There will be good fishing.
  • I'm still an Alaska resident (cheap AK fishing license)
Things that will change
  • I'll be teaching a younger age group (5th, 6th, and 7th graders)
  • Smaller village (approx. 300) and smaller school (110 students K-12)
  • I will be a tenured teacher
  • I will be working with a new Mac-book computer
  • I will be much closer to Bethel (quasai civilization)
  • Flatter terrain, no hills nearby. But mountains 50 miles east (2000 - 4000 ft. elev.)
  • Better fishing (Kings, Silvers, Chum, Dollys, Grayling, and Sheefish)
Anyway, I'm happy with my decision so far. I figured that I won't be stressing about finding a job in the lower 48 with the collapsing economy. I've heard many horror stories about school districts cutting the number of teachers they have and cutting budgets left and right. I just signed a contract today for next year, so my job search is over for a while.

Phew!
Stay tuned for summer adventures and news from EEK!

2 comments:

Shade Hopper said...

Way to go, Dirk! I'm glad Alaska won't lose you. I think you'll like younger kids. Paul and I hiked over 900 miles on the AT before getting off. We'll return next April to finish. Check out my trail journal to hear the details (trailjournals.com, Pound Hound).

Will you be in Fairbanks this summer? We'd love to see you.

Pat

Carey said...

Wow! That's good news, Dirk. I'm glad the district will still have the benefit of you as a teacher. I'm sure Erin is thrilled that she'll be able to snow-machine to visit with you too. Welcome back. :-D